Who doesn’t love a good sweet and salty combination? This easy and yummy caramel popcorn with chocolate drizzle recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser. When we were younger, dad would always make caramel corn and shake it all up in a big paper grocery bag. I always thought it was a kooky (love you dad) way to make popcorn but it works so well.
Let’s get cookin’!!
3 Tbsp of olive oil
3/4 Cup of Popcorn Kernels
1 Cup of Salted Butter
1 Cup of Light Brown Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp of Baking Soda
Chocolate Melting Wafers or Chocolate Chips
To make the popcorn
– Add 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add three kernels of popcorn in the oil and put on medium high heat.
– When the three kernels pop, add the remaining kernels.
Put a lid on the pot and gently shake a few times while the kernels are popping.
– When the popping slows down, remove from the heat and add to a large heatsafe bowl. If you are adding the caramel sauce to the popcorn in a bowl make sure the bowl is big enough for you to stir the caramel sauce around. We were using the paper bag shaking method so we transferred it to a large paper grocery bag after it cooled a little.
– Add salt to taste.
Now on to the caramel sauce….
– Melt 1 cup of butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Do not think about the quantity of butter that you just put into the pan, just go with it 😉
– Once the butter is melted, add 1 cup of light brown sugar and stir continuously until it’s thoroughly mixed
– Bring the mixture to a boil for approximately 3 minutes. Stirring continuously
– Add 2 tsp of vanilla, stir
– Add 1/4 tsp of baking soda, stir and remove from the heat
Immediately add the caramel sauce to the popcorn and stir to coat all of the popcorn.
You can also add the popcorn and caramel sauce to a large paper bag. Roll the top of the paper bag to close and shake, shake, shake it to coat the popcorn.
Spread out the coated popcorn on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
Melt chocolate wafers according to package directions and lightly drizzle over the popcorn.
Let the popcorn cool. Store in an airtight container or put in glassine bags to share!
This receipe was inspired by dad’s crazy mixing technique and this Easy Caramel Popcorn Recipe from Two Sisters Crafting’s