Simple Chocolate Covered Oreo Reindeer Cookies
I made these super simple Oreo reindeer cookies for a holiday party last night. They only require a few ingredients and honestly don’t take much time to put together at all. These are fun for neighbor gifts, classroom parties, holiday parties or a fun Christmas dessert.
Supplies For Chocolate Covered Oreo Reindeer Cookies
- Oreos or Trader Joes Jo-jos or Wegmans sandwich creme cookies- we love using the candy cane or peppermint flavored ones
- Dark Melting Chocolate Melting Wafers – We used two bags of the Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers to cover about 35 cookies.
You could also use the Milk Chocolate Melting Wafers, but I don’t see them in stores as often as the Dark Chocolate ones. We just snagged what was on the shelf 🙂
- Mini candy eyeballs – We have found them at Michaels and Walmart. We only needed one package of these for the 35 cookies we did and we have a bunch left over.
- Red M&Ms – we purchase a bag of the red and green holiday M&Ms, but you only need the red ones we have found them at Target, Walmart and most grocery stores
- Snyders Itty Bitty Mini Pretzels for the antlers – We have seen these at Target and select grocery stores. Make sure they are the itty bitty ones.
- Parchment paper
How To Assemble The Reindeer Cookies
I quickly threw these together last night and didn’t snap any photos of the process because my fingers were also coated in chocolate, but I’ll walk you through the steps.
Cover a baking sheet or two with parchment paper. You will place your chocolate covered cookies on top of this to cool once you’ve coated them.
Separate the red and green M&Ms. Save the green ones to snack on later. Place the red ones in a small bowl to use for the reindeer noses.
Open up the mini candy eyeballs. We poured some onto a small plate. These are a little difficult to grab and place on the cookies without getting chocolate on the other eyeballs so we place them on a plate and can easily snag the ones we need.
Open up your itty bitty mini pretzels and pour some in a bowl. You will use these for the antlers.
Pour your chocolate melting wafers into a heat safe bowl and microwave according the heating instructions. We heated up the melting wafers in 30 second increments at 50% power then stirred. Continue until the chocolate is smooth and completely melted.
Dip a cookie into the melted chocolate and use a fork to move around the cookie and coat it completely. Let the excess chocolate drip off. Place the chocolate covered cookie onto the parchment paper.
If you’re working on this alone, I would suggest coating about 3-4 cookies in the choc0late then adding the eyes, nose and antlers. Then coat 3-4 more cookies. You want to add the details (eyes, nose, antlers) before the chocolate hardens which can happen quickly.
We found it easiest to first add the candy eyeballs because sometimes they would accidentally flip over or land in the wrong spot. Then you can use a knife to switch out that eyeball without having to work around the nose or the antlers to get to the eye.
Then add your red nose and two pretzels at the top for antlers.
Let the cookies completely cool before packaging. You can place them in the fridge if you need to speed things along.
If you’re transporting or saving them for later, place them in an airtight container using parchment paper to separate the layers.
If you’re looking for other fun dessert ideas, check out our Rice Krispies Treat Snowmen.
Happy Holidays! Enjoy!